Planning a wedding is expensive and can be draining. It can add stress beyond belief at times and make you encounter things you've never had to encounter at any other point in your life. Like, seriously, we deserve some sort of medal for pulling this stuff off!
Because my amazing husband was so supportive throughout the planning and made so many sacrifices to give me the wedding of my dreams, I wanted to thank him in some way. (At the end of this blog post I will also share one other way I surprised Chase at our rehearsal dinner!) When starting to research ideas, I saw tons of Pinterest posts that listed some essentials for making a gift box for a groom on the wedding day. I was pretty disappointed in what I found because of the lack of diverse ideas. Pretty much every article said to give him socks with a saying on the bottom of them, a cigar, ring pops?! (yes, the candy...), and several other little things. These just weren't things that I connected with or that were Chase's style. Because of this, I came up with my own list and wanted to share them with you! These nine ways to surprise your groom on the wedding day are simple yet thoughtful ways to let him know you love and appreciate him and are excited to be taking this next step in your lives together!
9 Thoughtful Ways to Surprise Your Groom on Your Wedding Day!
1. Include one or more of your groom's favorite snacks. But go a step further! Because I didn't think of this until the last minute, I wasn't able to be as thoughtful as I would have liked. One of my husband's favorite snacks is beef jerky. We've talked about my grandpa making it for me when I was a kid and how it's my absolute favorite, but Chase has never tried it. It would have been neat to have had my grandpa's homemade jerky instead of a prepackaged bag. Having a bit of meaning in the little things could be a really cool thing for your groom!
2. Incorporate your honeymoon! If you're going on a honeymoon, pick up a little book about the location you're going to and put it in your groom's gift box. This could be as simple as a map of the resort, or a type of candy that is made in the country you're going to. Another idea is having a secret excursion planned for the honeymoon that he knows nothing about until the day of the wedding. This could be a range of different things, depending on the location you're going to. You could book a kayaking trip, a brewery tour or a massage. Having that to look forward to could give him an extra *pep* in his step for the rest of the day!
3. Send him a photo of yourself before getting ready - but use an instant camera! This one is pretty specific because not everyone owns an instant camera. For those who do, or who know someone who does, it's a cute little add-in to the gift box. On the morning of your wedding, before you start getting ready, have a bridesmaid snap a photo of you with the instant camera! Once it develops, place the photo on top of the box you've made and have someone deliver it to your groom! Then, years down the road, you guys will see that cute little instant photo hanging out in the front of your wedding album and... in come the *feels.* If you don't have an instant camera but want one, I recommend this one! We actually used ours in our wedding ceremony and took it on our honeymoon!
4. Bottled water. Simple!
5. Write him a note- but wait until the night before or the morning of the wedding! I knew I was going to do this one well before the day of our wedding so I ordered a personalized card from Etsy in advance. It took real restraint not to write in it a few weeks before the wedding when everything was feeling more real. But, I'm really glad I waited to write in it the day before the wedding because the happiness and excitement I felt the day before was on another level. Wait to write your note until the night before or the day of your wedding and I promise you won't be disappointed.
I ordered my card from this Etsy shop.
6. Schedule for him to have breakfast in bed! This one works really well if you're staying at a hotel the weekend of your wedding. Calling room service and ordering his favorite breakfast (or just any breakfast!) is super thoughtful and honestly, I would be stoked to wake up to breakfast that I didn't have to cook myself.
7. Have his favorite coffee delivered to him that morning! If your fiance is into coffee, this one could be awesome! Plan ahead with a groomsmen or family member to pick up a coffee for your guy and take it to him without him knowing!
8. Make arrangements for him to do something fun while you are getting ready! Plan ahead and make arrangements for the groom and groomsmen to do something fun while you and the bridesmaids are getting ready! Ideas I came up with are playing a round of golf, spending time at an arcade, driving laps at a local bumper car place, or hanging out and playing games on the X-Box. Whatever the activity, I think it's important to have everything handled for him ahead of time as not to give him unsolicited tasks on his wedding day. If it's too expensive for you to cover everyone (like the groomsmen), text the guys ahead of time and let them know you're planning a surprise for him, that way the guys are financially prepared.
9. Make a video to send him! I like this option if writing isn't your strong suit. Instead, or even in addition to the note, record a video talking to him before you start getting ready and send it to him when you know he's alone and can give it his attention.
I hope you're able to use some of these ideas in your own ways for your groom! If you have any other ideas, share them with us in the comments below! I'd love to hear from you :) If you plan to make a gift box or are going to try to surprise your groom on the wedding day, let us know how you plan to pull it off! Good luck and happy planning!